Helpful Information and Resources
Take what you need. Share the rest.
Coping With Stress: 7 Tips for Getting things done.
Feeling overwhelmed? Anxious? Super Sensitive? Time to reset the Amygdala!
The Amygdala is the emotions center of the brain.
1. Regular mindfulness meditation. Research has found that mindful meditation can change the structure of the brain, in this case shrinking the amygdala. The result is a feeling less stressed.
2. Deep belly breathing: Slow deep breathing helps to slow the heart rate resulting in a more relaxed feeling. 5 minutes a day is all you need.
Believe it or not, chanting helps calm the emotional brain too.
One study using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) to scan the brains of subjects chanting found that it also significantly deactivates the amygdala.
Congratulations for taking time to care for yourself today!
1) Neuron. 2005 Oct 20;48(2):175-87. Contributions of the amygdala to emotion processing: from animal models to human behavior. Phelps EA(1), LeDoux JE.
(3)Amygdala response – https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/amygdala.htm
Mindfulness techniques train your brain to slow down racing thoughts, let go of negativity, and calm both your mind and body.
The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as “relaxing breath.
To use the 4-7-8 technique, focus on the following breathing pattern:
empty the lungs of air
breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 seconds
hold the breath for a count of 7 seconds
exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a “whoosh” sound, for 8 seconds
repeat the cycle up to 4 times
Loving yourself through Self-Care
Here are 5 super easy Self-care ideas to try!
1. Turn off Social media!
2. Try a new healthy meal this week.
3. Get moving! Go for a walk.
4. Call a friend or loved one just to say hello.
5. Listen to your favorite song.